Monday, November 2, 2015

Paul Ryan's Refusal to Work with President Obama on Immigration: Why History Matters

New House Speaker Paul Ryan says he will not work with President Obama on immigration reform.

Extremists have said President Obama cannot be trusted.

However, these same extremists also refused to work with Republican President George W. Bush and Republican Senator John McCain when they proposed immigration reform.

Based on that history, the extremists are unwilling to work with anyone on immigration reform which means a continuation of the system we currently have.

That means the agriculture, construction, and other big money interests will continue to make huge profits by using a pool of undocumented workers whom they can continue to pay low wages and employ in unsafe working conditions. 


Paul Ryan and other Republicans lack the courage to tell the extremists in their ranks that legalization is not "amnesty" and deporting 11 million undocumented immigrants would require:
  • Turning the U.S. into a police state to find the undocumented immigrants, Everyone will be required to carry proof of citizenship or their visa at all times. Police will be allowed to randomly demand "show me your papers" and to set up residency and citizenship papers checkpoints.
  • To prevent harm to our economy from the loss of the deported workers, a new program to immediately issue massive numbers of work visas for new immigrants to replace those undocumented workers being deported.
  • A massive tax increase to fund those programs.
Ironically Paul Ryan's extremist free market Ayn Rand libertarian ideology probably would advocate open borders to allow the free movement of workers to seek the best deal for their labor. But his same lack of courage cited above suggests that he will not be discussing that either.


My readers are free to use anything in this blog in any way without attribution.

I consider what I post to be background research and talking points. I would be honored if others found something useful for their work.

If you wish to acknowledge me, please ask me me before doing so.

This is for me to practice my writing and blogging skills so please ignore grammar, spelling, formatting and other errors.




2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff. This means a lot to me personally as our family oral history is that my paternal grandfather was an undocumented immigrant who in the early 20th century was given a path to legalize his status.

      I want the same for today's undocumented immigrants.

      Delete